This Course brought to you by GrantsMagicU
A Premium Course at a great Value: Just $37
Clear, compelling writing is vital to all your on-the-job writing projects — not just grant proposals.
In this hands-on workshop, you’ll learn and practice simple, powerful and often overlooked techniques that will have you writing more clearly, quickly and confidently — right away.
The focus is on presenting your message in a way that makes it as easy as possible for your reader to understand — so you get the results you want.
- The big myths and misconceptions that could be sabotaging your writing without your even knowing it;
- Three fundamental strategies for writing so clearly your reader cannot possibly misunderstand your message;
- Key techniques and tools to help you organize your material for maximum impact;
- Ten steps for busting through the deadly 12-12-12 Scenario and bringing your writing to life;
- Figuring it out: Who are your readers, what do they need from you … and how do you make sure you deliver?
- Advice from the top writing pros on editing, proofreading, and revising.
- BONUS RESOURCES: Everything Else You Always Wanted to Know About Good Writing (But Never Had the Chance to Ask)
WELCOME: START HERE (downloads and overview)
PART 1. WRITING: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T WORK – AND WHY (total video time: 9 min.)
- The 6-Step Process of “Writing” – and Why It Doesn’t Work to Do It All At Once
PART 2. CLARITY: THE “HOW” OF GOOD WRITING (total video time: 73 min.)
- The Golden Rule of Good Writing
- Clarity Key #1: Focus on Simple, Familiar Words – The First 2 Tools
- Clarity Key #1: A 3rd Tool – and the Systematic Proposal Buzz Phrase Synthesizer
- Clarity Key #2: Prefer Short, Simple Sentences – The Meat Cleaver Tool
- Clarity Key #2: 4 More Tools – Wow!
- Stop and Think: Practice Exercise
- Clarity Key #3: Prefer Active-Voice Verbs – Dogs, Zombies, and Homer Simpson
- Three Corollaries of Clear Writing
- A Few Words About Those “Grade-Level” Reading Scales
PART 3. ORGANIZING: THE “WHAT” OF GOOD WRITING (total video time: 24 min.)
- Organizing Key #1: Ask – Why? Who? What?
- Organizing Key #2: Outline, Outline, Outline (But Not Like This!)
- Organizing Key #3: Lead With Your Bottom Line
- Example: Getting Roger to Yes – ASAP!
PART 4. EDITING AND PROOFREADING FOR PROFESSIONAL POLISH (total video time: 16 min.)
- Editing in the Left Brain – and Proofreading by Look-Listen-Touch
- Proofreading Tricks: When You Don’t Have Time; When You Can’t Stand to Look At It Again
PART 5. EVERYTHING ELSE YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT GOOD WRITING (THANKS, MOM!) (total video time: 5 min.)
- Mystery Grab Bag – What’s Inside?
WRAPPING IT UP (total video time: 7 min.)
- Recap, Review, Putting It Into Practice!
This is an anytime, anywhere online video training. As soon as you enroll, you will have instant access to the recorded training and can watch over any Internet connection, on your own schedule, as often as you like.